Despite articles touting a significant decrease in crime rates across the United States, Attorney General Eric Holder insists he is being kept up at night by the “growing threat” of Americans killing one another.
Of course evidence to the contrary is never a good reason to avoid a good scare story, and Holder’s is the familiar sort, the same claim that anyone, anywhere, at any time might be a terrorist who launches a major attack.
There’s an “alarming rise,” according to Holder, but really, when has there ever not been an official claim that there is an alarming rise in threats? They are the same old combination of loopy theories and invented plots ending with spectacular arrests.
Holder’s fears will almost certainly be somewhat salved by the news that the FBI is building a massive database which one day will include data on every American citizen who ever looked funny at a police officer. But until that day, we can expect more restless nights and more scaremongering days.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017