Helmut Metzner Admitted He Was US 'Mole' Inside FDP
The Obama Administration’s cables railing about Germany’s Free Democratic Party in general and leader Guido Westerwelle (now Germany’s Foreign Minister) in particular came with references to an unnamed informant the US had on the inside of the FDP who was eager to report on the party’s internal meetings to the US embassy.
According to Helmut Metzner, Foreign Minister Westerwelle’s (now former) chief of staff, he is that informant, and he has been sacked for being a US mole, the direct confirmed firing to come out of the WikiLeaks cables leak.
The Obama Administration was said to have serious reservations about the Free Democratic Party’s commitment to limited government and individual liberty ahead of September 2009’s election, and expressed hope that Chancellor Angela Merkel could be convinced to foil their agenda to protect her “legacy.”
The cables never named Metzner, but referred to him as “a young, up-and-coming party loyalist” who was providing the US embassy with information. Publicly, Westerwelle appeared contented to let the matter drop until Metzner confessed to his role as the mole.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: Bombing Afghan Hospital 'Not a War Crime' - October 5th, 2015
- Russia Says 'Volunteers' Likely to Fight in Syria - October 5th, 2015
- Syrians Skeptical of Turkey's Promised War Against ISIS - October 5th, 2015
- Badr Brigade Chief: US Not Serious in Fighting ISIS - October 5th, 2015
- With Coastal Gains, Saudi Forces See Yemen's Taiz Within Reach - October 5th, 2015