Helmut Metzner Admitted He Was US 'Mole' Inside FDP
The Obama Administration’s cables railing about Germany’s Free Democratic Party in general and leader Guido Westerwelle (now Germany’s Foreign Minister) in particular came with references to an unnamed informant the US had on the inside of the FDP who was eager to report on the party’s internal meetings to the US embassy.
According to Helmut Metzner, Foreign Minister Westerwelle’s (now former) chief of staff, he is that informant, and he has been sacked for being a US mole, the direct confirmed firing to come out of the WikiLeaks cables leak.
The Obama Administration was said to have serious reservations about the Free Democratic Party’s commitment to limited government and individual liberty ahead of September 2009’s election, and expressed hope that Chancellor Angela Merkel could be convinced to foil their agenda to protect her “legacy.”
The cables never named Metzner, but referred to him as “a young, up-and-coming party loyalist” who was providing the US embassy with information. Publicly, Westerwelle appeared contented to let the matter drop until Metzner confessed to his role as the mole.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia: West 'Not Ready' for Single Anti-ISIS Coalition - November 27th, 2015
- Erdogan: Russia 'Playing With Fire' in Attacking Syrian Rebels - November 27th, 2015
- Putin Asks France for Map of Syria's Anti-ISIS Rebels to Avoid Bombing Them - November 27th, 2015
- NSA Bulk Phone Surveillance 'Shuts Down'; To Be Replaced by Near-Identical Scheme - November 27th, 2015
- British Foreign Office Warns Saudi Arms Sales Risk War Crimes Prosecutions - November 27th, 2015