So far the Monday releases from WikiLeaks have been few in number (indeed less than 60 cables have been leaked since this morning), but they reveal a belief among South Korean diplomats that they will inevitably seize control over a collapsed North Korea within 2-3 years after the death of Kim Jong-il.
According to South Korea’s Vice Foreign Minister Chun Young-Woo, the Chinese government is also resigned to this fact and unnamed officials had told him they were ready to “face the new reality” of South Korean hegemony over a reunited Korean Peninsula.
Indeed, the Chinese officials were said to be keen on the idea, seeing North Korea as a growing liability and a united Korea as a potentially valuable trading partner. Their only apparent concern was for the US not to use Korean unity as an excuse to move its troops northward and along the Chinese border.
Indeed, Chun predicted that the only real sticking point for reunification would be Japan, who he said had a preference to see Korea divided. He dismissed this as a serious problem, however, saying Japan lacked the leverage to stop reunification.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017