Though for all intents and purposes the peace talks appear to be fully dead, the Obama Administration is continuing to make additional pledges to visiting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, assuring him of further US largesse in return for a peace deal that is seemingly not coming.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was up to make promises today, assuring Netanyahu of America’s “unshakable commitment to Israel’s security.” She assured that the borders of any Palestinian state would reflect Israel’s requirements.
More than what Secretary Clinton said was what she didn’t say, however. In the course of the talks she made no references to the Israeli settlements, nor to the issue of Israel’s continued expansion of those settlements, which is the reason the talks have stalled.
And while it is unclear if this is directly related to the US pledges of additional support, media reports suggest the US is dramatically increasing the number of weapons it is storing in Israel, adding a number of smart bombs to the stockpile. Though nominally America’s stockpile in case they need it, weapons in the stockpile have been handed over to Israel during its assorted wars.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018