In an interview with BBC today, NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen slammed former Soviet premier Mikhail Gorbachev for calling the decade long NATO occupation of Afghanistan “unwinnable.”
British Foreign Minister William Hague also slammed the comments, insisting that it was ‘impossible’ to compare the Soviet Union’s failed 9+ year long occupation of Afghanistan to NATO’s current, failing 9+ year long occupation of Afghanistan.
In his comments Gorbachev advised NATO to leave as soon as possible, and praised President Obama’s July 2011 drawdown plan, apparently unaware that the US president has already disavowed that date and insisted that the war will continue.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 40 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017