Panic as Drones Continue to Loom Over Area
Pakistan’s remote tribal agencies of North and South Waziristan are in a state of virtual panic tonight as US drones continue to loom in the air and three attacks against separate towns across the region killed at least 28 people and wounded an unknown number of others.
Officials have so far failed to identify any of the targets of the attacks, but reports from the ground suggest that one of the US drones attacked a funeral procession that was carried out for people killed in a previous attack.
Reports suggested that the targets hit were related to one of the militant factions which has an existing ceasefire with the Pakistani government, and it does not appear that any of the victims of the attacks were “high value” targets.
The Obama Administration has dramatically escalated the number of attacks in recent weeks, and has launched an average of about an attack every day so far this month. None of those prior attacks killed any confirmed militants, but a number of children were confirmed killed in several recent strikes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Negotiators: Iran Civilian Nuclear Limits Would Taper Off in Next Decade - February 23rd, 2015
- Israeli Settlement Building Soared 40% in 2014 - February 23rd, 2015
- Officials: US Carried Out Mock Mall Attacks to Test Readiness - February 23rd, 2015
- NSA Director Defends Maintaining Backdoors in Americans' Software - February 23rd, 2015
- Ukraine Won't Abide by Ceasefire Deal's Withdrawal of Heavy Weapons - February 23rd, 2015