At least 19 people were killed today and 57 others wounded when a suicide truck bomber attacked a police station in the Lakki Marwat District in the Khyber Pakhtoonwhah Province (formerly Northwest Frontier Province). The district borders South Waziristan.
The attack killed at least nine police and wounded a large number of others, and also killed at least four schoolchildren who were said to be walking past the station at the time of the attack. Officials said security at the station was much lower than normal because of the flooding crisis.
The attack was the first in the region in months, but a previous attack in early January against a volleyball game killed at least 89 people and wounded large numbers of others.
So far it is unclear which militant faction was responsible for today’s attack, but increasingly a number of attacks have targeted the security forces across Pakistan, and their ability to provide security for themselves, let alone the rest of the nation, remains in serious doubt.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018