Another bloody weekend in Afghanistan saw at least seven US soldiers killed in a number of attacks, and several major battles reported across the nation.
NATO forces say that at least 30 insurgents, including 13 “would-be suicide bombers” were also killed when they tried to attack military bases and government buildings in Eastern Afghanistan.
One of the bases attacked was Forward Operating Base Chapman, which was the center of CIA activity in southern Afghanistan and Pakistan until an attack by a Jordanian “triple agent” attacked a CIA surveillance center there in December.
In addition to the fighting between the occupation forces and the insurgency, growing violence was also reported against campaign workers preparing for the upcoming Afghan parliamentary election. At least five campaign workers and one candidate have been confirmed killed over the weekend.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017
- Saudis, Allies Have 'List of Demands' for Qatar - June 21st, 2017