The US State Department has reacted with outrage today after the Iranian government offered to provide military aid to Lebanon to make up for what was lost when the US pulled all such aid yesterday.
Incredibly enough, State Department spokesman Philip Crowley suggested that Iran’s military aid would “compromise Lebanon’s sovereignty,” yet no similar concerns were voiced when the US was providing much larger amounts of aid to the exact same country.
In fact, Crowley insisted US military aid had the opposite effect, and was actually helping “expand the capabilities of the government and thereby improve its sovereignty over its territory.”
Rep. Howard Berman (D – CA) announced yesterday that he was pulling all military aid to Lebanon because of last week’s border clash with Israel. In the clash one Israeli soldier was killed, prompting Israeli shelling which killed three Lebanese soldiers and a journalist.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017
- South Korean President Says He Can Veto War Against North Korea - August 15th, 2017
- ICC Issues Warrant for Ally of Libyan Gen. Hafter for War Crimes - August 15th, 2017
- Taliban Open Letter Urges Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan - August 15th, 2017
- Iran Threatens to Quit Nuclear Deal If US Keeps Adding Sanctions - August 15th, 2017