US 'Providing Intelligence' for Attacks
Most of the deaths came in air strikes against the region, but earlier this week hundreds of Turkish soldiers also briefly marched into Iraqi Kurdistan in “hot pursuit” of rebels, sparking a multi-hour gunbattle.
Turkey’s military has been launching attacks off and on against northern Iraq for years, as has Iran. Both have cited the mountainous border region as a popular hiding place for Kurdish rebels from their own nations, and Turkey says that the US has been providing “intelligence” for the attacks.
Turkey’s clashes are with a group called the PKK, the “Kurdistan Workers’ Party,” which has regularly been launching attacks inside Turkey for years, but is also seen as expanding attacks in recent months. The group is officially listed as a terrorist organization by the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Tribes Contact ISIS, Trying to Secure Release of Christians - March 1st, 2015
- Russian Opposition Rally Focuses on Murder of Former Deputy PM - March 1st, 2015
- Obama Would Veto Bill Giving Congress Power Over Iran Deal - March 1st, 2015
- Rift Widens as Netanyahu Arrives in US for Speech - March 1st, 2015
- Routed by al-Qaeda, US-Backed Syria Rebels Dissolve - March 1st, 2015