Following Pakistani military attacks Sunday that killed at least 60 “suspected militants,” largely in air strikes against suspected militant hideouts, the Pakistani military is claiming today that they have killed another 60 Taliban in further fighting and air strikes in Orakzai.
Unlike the Sunday attacks, which were just Pakistani military strikes on buildings, today’s fighting was mostly open combat, when some 200 Taliban attacked a military checkpoint in Dabori.
What resulted was a three hour gunbattle which officials say left at least 60 Taliban dead, and 70 wounded. In addition, four members of Pakistan’s military were killed, and 20 others were wounded.
Pakistan’s military launched its Orakzai invasion in March, and has claimed to have killed over 800 militants since then, though there has been no independent verification of those figures. Hundreds of thousands of civilians have also been driven from their homes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Takes Area South of Damascus, Driving Out Army - March 20th, 2018
- Scores of Civilians Killed as Strikes Hit Eastern Ghouta School, Market - March 20th, 2018
- Turkey Threatens to Attack Syrian Town Held by US Troops - March 20th, 2018