Already shrugged off as “amateurish” earlier this morning, the level of incompetence behind the failed Times Square bombing reached new levels this afternoon, when police opened the metal gun locker.
Inside, police found more than 100 pounds of fertilizer, but not the ammonium nitrate based fertilizer used in past bombings. Rather, the fertilizer was the wrong variety: 100% harmless, it couldn’t have even hypothetically exploded.
Still, the Nissan Pathfinder had enough propane and gasoline in it to do some damage, and police are looking for leads behind who parked it near the broadway theater showing the Lion King, and why.
The proximity to a military recruiter has raised some speculation, but other theories are out there, including Rep. King’s (R – NY) wild guess that it had something to do with a controversial episode of South Park that aired last month.
The Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) audiotape claiming responsibility is still out there too, but the sheer ineptitude of the effort has many shrugging that notion off. In the end the bombing attempt may have been so poorly executed the group might not want credit anyhow.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Afghan Taliban Commander's House, Killing 15 - July 17th, 2018
- Trump: No Time Limit for Denuclearization of North Korea - July 17th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Rejects Idea of US-Taliban Peace Talks - July 17th, 2018
- Israeli Army Told to Prepare for Large-Scale Invasion of Gaza - July 17th, 2018
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente - July 17th, 2018