Already shrugged off as “amateurish” earlier this morning, the level of incompetence behind the failed Times Square bombing reached new levels this afternoon, when police opened the metal gun locker.
Inside, police found more than 100 pounds of fertilizer, but not the ammonium nitrate based fertilizer used in past bombings. Rather, the fertilizer was the wrong variety: 100% harmless, it couldn’t have even hypothetically exploded.
Still, the Nissan Pathfinder had enough propane and gasoline in it to do some damage, and police are looking for leads behind who parked it near the broadway theater showing the Lion King, and why.
The proximity to a military recruiter has raised some speculation, but other theories are out there, including Rep. King’s (R – NY) wild guess that it had something to do with a controversial episode of South Park that aired last month.
The Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) audiotape claiming responsibility is still out there too, but the sheer ineptitude of the effort has many shrugging that notion off. In the end the bombing attempt may have been so poorly executed the group might not want credit anyhow.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army, Allies Advance Against Rebel-Held Idlib - December 10th, 2017
- Protests Across Middle East Against Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 8th, 2017
- Two Dead, Hundreds Wounded in Palestinian 'Day of Rage' - December 8th, 2017
- Israeli Airstrikes Pound Gaza After Rocket Hits Sderot - December 8th, 2017
- White House Again Calls on Saudis to End Yemen Blockade - December 8th, 2017