Speaking today in Jerusalem, Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon warned that US pressure to make progress on the peace deal with the Palestinian Authority would make any such peace impossible.
Ayalon told a delegation that the Palestinians “are creating obstacles” that are keeping the peace process from moving forward, and insisted that Israel had “proven” its sincerity in wanting peace.
Ayalon’s party, Yisrael Beiteinu, is opposed in principle to the two-state solution, and party leader and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has repeatedly condemned the idea of peace talks on general principle.
The most recent attempt at peace talks, a US-brokered indirect negotiation last month, came crashing down when Israel’s Interior Minister used the eve of the talks to announce a massive new settlement expansion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018