The attack destroyed a two-story SIA building used to interrogate detainees, and also did serious damage to the surrounding area, wounding people in homes over 300 meters from the blast.
It also severely damaged a privately-run Muslim seminary, wounding several people and trapping several others under debris. Though most of the slain people were police, the vast majority of the wounded appear to have been innocent bystanders in the surrounding area.
The Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed credit for the bombing, saying it was retaliation for the repeated US drone strikes against the tribal areas. They threatened further attacks so long as the strikes continue.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 30 Pro-Govt Fights Near Syrian City of Palmyra - May 22nd, 2018
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Central Afghanistan - May 22nd, 2018
- Aide: US Contacting Members of Iraqi Cleric Sadr's Bloc - May 22nd, 2018
- US 'Plan B' With Iran Sets the Stage for War - May 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Military Says It Is First to Use F-35 in Combat - May 22nd, 2018