Update 3/7/10 6:15 PM EST:
Gadahn, born in 1978, grew up in Riverside County, California, and converted to Islam at a mosque in Orange County. His father Philip Gadahn is a musician. He initially issued statements for al-Qaeda under the name Azzam the American (Azzam al-Ameriki) starting in 2004.
A long-standing target of the US government for his role in al-Qaeda, Gadahn was indicted on federal charges of treason in 2006. The indictment charged him with giving al-Qaeda “aid and comfort.” He was also reported killed in early 2008 by a US drone strike, though this was later revealed not to be the case.
Interestingly enough, news of Gadahn’s capture comes at the same time that a new Gadahn video has emerged, in which he praises Fort Hood shooter Major Nidal Hasan and urges other Muslims to follow his example.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Takes Area South of Damascus, Driving Out Army - March 20th, 2018
- Scores of Civilians Killed as Strikes Hit Eastern Ghouta School, Market - March 20th, 2018
- Turkey Threatens to Attack Syrian Town Held by US Troops - March 20th, 2018