Update 3/7/10 6:15 PM EST:
Gadahn, born in 1978, grew up in Riverside County, California, and converted to Islam at a mosque in Orange County. His father Philip Gadahn is a musician. He initially issued statements for al-Qaeda under the name Azzam the American (Azzam al-Ameriki) starting in 2004.
A long-standing target of the US government for his role in al-Qaeda, Gadahn was indicted on federal charges of treason in 2006. The indictment charged him with giving al-Qaeda “aid and comfort.” He was also reported killed in early 2008 by a US drone strike, though this was later revealed not to be the case.
Interestingly enough, news of Gadahn’s capture comes at the same time that a new Gadahn video has emerged, in which he praises Fort Hood shooter Major Nidal Hasan and urges other Muslims to follow his example.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018