The sanctions were reportedly worked out between the US and other Western nations, but have been rejected by Russia as too harsh. China has yet to respond but has previously expressed opposition to any additional sanctions on Iran.
The State Department had repeatedly insisted that everyone is in favor of the sanctions, despite the mounting evidence that this is not the case. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently conceded that it might take months to convince everyone to support the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Congress Reaches Deal on 'Sweeping' Russia Sanctions - July 22nd, 2017
- Mattis: ISIS Leader Baghdadi Still Alive - July 21st, 2017
- Syrian Jihadists Reach Truce Deal After Week of Infighting - July 21st, 2017
- North Korea Snubs South's Offer of Military Talks - July 21st, 2017
- US Withholds Money Owed to Pakistan Over Haqqani Network - July 21st, 2017