The sanctions were reportedly worked out between the US and other Western nations, but have been rejected by Russia as too harsh. China has yet to respond but has previously expressed opposition to any additional sanctions on Iran.
The State Department had repeatedly insisted that everyone is in favor of the sanctions, despite the mounting evidence that this is not the case. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently conceded that it might take months to convince everyone to support the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018