The sanctions were reportedly worked out between the US and other Western nations, but have been rejected by Russia as too harsh. China has yet to respond but has previously expressed opposition to any additional sanctions on Iran.
The State Department had repeatedly insisted that everyone is in favor of the sanctions, despite the mounting evidence that this is not the case. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently conceded that it might take months to convince everyone to support the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017
- Saudis, Allies Have 'List of Demands' for Qatar - June 21st, 2017