The sanctions were reportedly worked out between the US and other Western nations, but have been rejected by Russia as too harsh. China has yet to respond but has previously expressed opposition to any additional sanctions on Iran.
The State Department had repeatedly insisted that everyone is in favor of the sanctions, despite the mounting evidence that this is not the case. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently conceded that it might take months to convince everyone to support the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Putting North Korea Back on Terror Blacklist Threatens Diplomacy - November 21st, 2017
- Palestinian Leadership Freezes Communications With US - November 21st, 2017
- US Claims Over 100 Militants Killed in Somalia Airstrike - November 21st, 2017
- Report Warns Yemen's Famine Risks Killing Thousands Daily - November 21st, 2017
- Tillerson Accused of Violating Child Soldier Law - November 21st, 2017