According to NATO, a US soldier was slain today on a base in the Baghdis Province. An Afghan soldier was said to have shot him, along with two Italians who were only lightly wounded in the incident.
The attacker reportedly was stopped when he approached a helicopter landing zone, before opening fire on the soldiers. He was also wounded and is currently under observation.
Afghan officials say the soldier was believed to have mental health problems, and it is unclear if the shooting was, like so many others, a function of “infiltration” of the military by insurgents.
Still, the attack will draw further attention to the questionable reliability of the Afghan security forces, at a time when NATO is looking to dramatically increase the size of the force.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018
- Trump and Saudis Discussed Saudi Arabia's Nuclear Ambitions - March 21st, 2018
- ISIS Suicide Bomber Kills Dozens Near Shrine in Afghan Capital - March 21st, 2018
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018