According to NATO, a US soldier was slain today on a base in the Baghdis Province. An Afghan soldier was said to have shot him, along with two Italians who were only lightly wounded in the incident.
The attacker reportedly was stopped when he approached a helicopter landing zone, before opening fire on the soldiers. He was also wounded and is currently under observation.
Afghan officials say the soldier was believed to have mental health problems, and it is unclear if the shooting was, like so many others, a function of “infiltration” of the military by insurgents.
Still, the attack will draw further attention to the questionable reliability of the Afghan security forces, at a time when NATO is looking to dramatically increase the size of the force.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017