Despite claims from President Barack Obama that the two sides were “quite close,” the US and Russia have failed to reach a deal to replace the expiring START 1 treaty.
Officials from the Kremlin now say that the two sides intend to take “a little break” for the Christmas holiday. Talks are expected to resume after Russia’s Orthodox Christmas holiday on January 7.
The sides had already missed the December 5 deadline, and have been in talks since April to come up with the deal. Today’s meetings were a last ditch effort to sign a new deal before the end of the year.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018