In May, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was instrumental in winning support for the Obama Administration’s “emergency” war funding bill, convincing Congress that this was absolutely the last time any such bill would be put forward.
But with the troops for President Barack Obama’s latest escalation starting to arrive in Afghanistan, and the 2010 defense bill not providing funding to pay for them, another “emergency” bill is on the horizon.
And while Congresswoman Pelosi wouldn’t commit to how she intends to vote on that next bill, her message to the administration is that it is up to the president to win the funding, because she has no intention of going out on another limb.
Polls show public doubt growing about the Afghan War, and with the mid-term elections coming up next year House Democrats will have to answer to their constituencies if and when they approve the next emergency bill.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018