The Israeli Cabinet voted today to approve a large amount of additional funding for settlements in the West Bank. Though an exact dollar amount was not available, spokesmen said it would be several millions of dollars.
The funding will only be provided to a portion of the settlements, with a large amount reportedly planned for isolated settlements. Defense Minister Ehud Barak publicly ignored the deal.
“There are a number of small settlements that are routinely a source of extreme behavior,” Barak said. Late last week settlers from one of the isolated settlements attacked a nearby mosque, burning copies of the Qu’ran.
The Israeli government’s 10 month settlement “freeze” has been met with growing outrage among the settlements, and increasing promises of support from the government aimed at placating the key constituency.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018