Following a Tuesday raid against a Saudi border post by Yemeni rebels, the Saudi Air Force has launched a series of heavy air strikes against Northern Yemen, hitting deep within the territory of Yemen’s Shi’ite population.
The Saudi government confirmed the strikes, and insisted that a portion of its southern territory briefly lost to the rebels had been captured. The government confirmed that its strikes were not limited to the border region but were also around Sa’dah, the ancient capital of the nation’s former Shi’ite religious dynasty.
Members of the rebel group reported that the Saudi attacks had killed a significant number of civilians and had struck a market in a northern town. The region, one of the world’s poorest, has little infrastructure and journalists are generally not free to operate, making it difficult to confirm civilian deaths
Despite the Saudi government being very forthcoming about the attack, the Yemeni government angrily denied that any such thing was happening, insisting it was all a “myth” invented by the Shi’ite rebels. Yemen’s government has strong ties with the Saudi government, and has promised a war “without mercy” against the nation’s Shi’ite north.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Say Russian Warplanes Attacked Them - September 25th, 2017
- North Korea Says Trump Has Declared War, US Says No - September 25th, 2017
- Palestinian Authority to Convene in Gaza Amid Reconciliation Push - September 25th, 2017
- Spanish Officials Declare Catalonia Referendum 'Discredited' - September 25th, 2017
- Spain's Attorney General: Catalan President May Face Arrest - September 25th, 2017