Though Pakistan likely has a long way to go in its current war in South Waziristan, they’re already looking forward to another one afterwards. In an interview given earlier today, Pakistani Defense Minister Ahmad Mukhtar said that the military will attack the North Waziristan Agency next.
Mukhtar said he expected the military to declare victory in South Waziristan “soon” and that they would then begin attacking North Waziristan. The defense minister’s predictions of victory are likely to be taken with a grain of salt, as he declared victory in the Swat Valley over a month before fighting began to seriously wind down.
Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmoud Qureshi also expressed confidence earlier this week that the South Waziristan offensive was going well, saying that he was hopeful of a mid-December victory.
Minister Mukhtar’s comments aside, it is unthinkable that the Pakistani military would launch an attack on North Waziristan around mid-December, as the region will likely be blanketed with snow by then and travel will be difficult if not impossible.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New Cyberattack Using NSA Exploit Spreads Across the World - June 27th, 2017
- US Attacks ISIS Prison, Killing Dozens of Civilians - June 27th, 2017
- Pentagon, State Dept 'Clueless' on Trump's Assad Allegation - June 27th, 2017
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017