Last Updated 10/18 5:40 PM EST
At least 49 people were killed today, including six high ranking members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, and dozens of others were wounded in a suicide attack in Sistan-Balochistan.
The attack was the deadliest in the region since a May attack on a Shi’ite mosque in the mostly Sunni province. Iran’s state media is reporting that Jundallah has taken credit for today’s attack.
Jundallah is a Baloch separatist group which operates on both the Iranian and Pakistani sides of the border. The group, which once boasted of ties with al-Qaeda, has been supported by the United States since at least 2005.
The exact extent of US backing for Jundallah is a matter of some dispute. Officials who privately acknowledge the relationship insist everything was careful worked to avoid Congressional oversight and that the relationship was “appropriate”, but the captured brother of Jundallah’s leader insists the US directly funded the group and has ordered them to carry out attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Declares EU a 'Foe,' Alongside Russia and China - July 15th, 2018
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018