At Least Six More Wounded in Attack Near Afghan Border
At least four people were killed and six injured tonight when a US drone fired missiles into a building suspected of being a militant compound in Pakistan’s North Waziristan Agency.
The building, which according to Pakistani officials was a house belonging to an Afghan refugee, is near the border with Afghanistan, and was destroyed when a pair of missiles struck it.
The US has been launching an ever increasing number of drone attacks into North and South Waziristan, but has seemed to favor North Waziristan of late, even as it presses Pakistan to launch an outright invasion of South Waziristan.
That offensive is still said to be pending, though claims from the civilian government over the weekend that it would begin “within 24 hours” have not borne out. The military has continued to launch air strikes and artillery attacks, however, and hundreds of thousands of civilians have fled the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Says Russia Ties at Risk Over Ongoing Strikes on ISIS - October 6th, 2015
- Russia Seeks New, Broader Military Talks With US on Syria Strikes - October 6th, 2015
- Battle Over Kunduz Highlights Risk to Huge US Afghan Investments - October 6th, 2015
- Taliban Uses Hit-and-Run Tactics to Harass Afghan Troops in Kunduz - October 6th, 2015
- ISIS Kills 22, Including 15 Soldiers, In Yemen Attacks - October 6th, 2015