US Special Envoy George Mitchell today wrapped up his latest meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and once again failed to obtain any guarantees regarding to settlement freeze or any indication that the right-wing Israeli government was willing to budge an inch to see peace talks resumed.
Though few details of the meetings have been made public, Mitchell appears to have achieved virtually nothing despite nine visits to the Middle East since his January appointment.
Yet Mitchell insists that President Obama is not at all discouraged and remains committed to continuing to press on with the peace process
The Israeli government has repeatedly ruled out anything resembling a freeze on settlement construction, which his been the principle requirement of the Palestinian Authority for negotiations. In addition, last week Israel’s Foreign Minister advised people to “learn to live with” the state of perpetual war, accusing those who expect peace of being “delusional.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018
- Yemen Talks End With Ceasefire Agreed for Hodeidah - December 13th, 2018