US Special Envoy George Mitchell today wrapped up his latest meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and once again failed to obtain any guarantees regarding to settlement freeze or any indication that the right-wing Israeli government was willing to budge an inch to see peace talks resumed.
Though few details of the meetings have been made public, Mitchell appears to have achieved virtually nothing despite nine visits to the Middle East since his January appointment.
Yet Mitchell insists that President Obama is not at all discouraged and remains committed to continuing to press on with the peace process
The Israeli government has repeatedly ruled out anything resembling a freeze on settlement construction, which his been the principle requirement of the Palestinian Authority for negotiations. In addition, last week Israel’s Foreign Minister advised people to “learn to live with” the state of perpetual war, accusing those who expect peace of being “delusional.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bomb Hits Afghanistan, 34 Dead, 60 Wounded - June 22nd, 2017
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017