US Special Envoy George Mitchell today wrapped up his latest meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and once again failed to obtain any guarantees regarding to settlement freeze or any indication that the right-wing Israeli government was willing to budge an inch to see peace talks resumed.
Though few details of the meetings have been made public, Mitchell appears to have achieved virtually nothing despite nine visits to the Middle East since his January appointment.
Yet Mitchell insists that President Obama is not at all discouraged and remains committed to continuing to press on with the peace process
The Israeli government has repeatedly ruled out anything resembling a freeze on settlement construction, which his been the principle requirement of the Palestinian Authority for negotiations. In addition, last week Israel’s Foreign Minister advised people to “learn to live with” the state of perpetual war, accusing those who expect peace of being “delusional.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis: ISIS Leader Baghdadi Still Alive - July 21st, 2017
- Syrian Jihadists Reach Truce Deal After Week of Infighting - July 21st, 2017
- North Korea Snubs South's Offer of Military Talks - July 21st, 2017
- US Withholds Money Owed to Pakistan Over Haqqani Network - July 21st, 2017
- Top US General Told Kurdish YPG to 'Change Its Brand' - July 21st, 2017