President Again Claims to Have Uncovered 'Covert Facility'
Speaking in the wake of today’s Geneva talks, President Barack Obama publicly endorsed yesterday’s Iranian proposal to export uranium for third-party enrichment abroad for use in its US-built Tehran reactor, saying it was a good step in showing Iran wanted nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.
At the same time, the president once again brought out the demonstably false claim that he had uncovered a “covert” Iranian nuclear facility in Qom. In fact the administration moved to “reveal” the facility last week only to learn that Iran had already declared the facility to the IAEA.
But Obama appeared considerably more optimistic about the talks than Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and he reiterated that Iran has every right to a civilian nuclear program.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Halts Aid Into Northern Syria, Citing Islamist Gains - December 10th, 2013
- Senate Hawks Push Iran Sanctions, But Delay Likely - December 10th, 2013
- Military Budget Deal Skips Sequestration, Erases $22 Billion in Cuts - December 10th, 2013
- Israelis, Palestinians Agree: Peace Talks Not Accomplishing Anything - December 10th, 2013
- Syrian Activists, Including Key Lawyer, Kidnapped by Suspected Islamists Near Damascus - December 10th, 2013