President Again Claims to Have Uncovered 'Covert Facility'
Speaking in the wake of today’s Geneva talks, President Barack Obama publicly endorsed yesterday’s Iranian proposal to export uranium for third-party enrichment abroad for use in its US-built Tehran reactor, saying it was a good step in showing Iran wanted nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.
At the same time, the president once again brought out the demonstably false claim that he had uncovered a “covert” Iranian nuclear facility in Qom. In fact the administration moved to “reveal” the facility last week only to learn that Iran had already declared the facility to the IAEA.
But Obama appeared considerably more optimistic about the talks than Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and he reiterated that Iran has every right to a civilian nuclear program.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US, Turkey Weigh Which Syrian Rebels to Support in Border 'Safe Zone' - July 28th, 2015
- Syrian Military, Kurds Oust ISIS From Hasakeh - July 28th, 2015
- Turkey: Peace With PKK Could 'Restart' if Kurds Disarm - July 28th, 2015
- NATO Endorses Turkey's Strikes on ISIS - July 28th, 2015
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Leader: US Not Serious About ISIS Fight - July 28th, 2015