President Again Claims to Have Uncovered 'Covert Facility'
Speaking in the wake of today’s Geneva talks, President Barack Obama publicly endorsed yesterday’s Iranian proposal to export uranium for third-party enrichment abroad for use in its US-built Tehran reactor, saying it was a good step in showing Iran wanted nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.
At the same time, the president once again brought out the demonstably false claim that he had uncovered a “covert” Iranian nuclear facility in Qom. In fact the administration moved to “reveal” the facility last week only to learn that Iran had already declared the facility to the IAEA.
But Obama appeared considerably more optimistic about the talks than Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and he reiterated that Iran has every right to a civilian nuclear program.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Former Officials See 'Seeds of Fascism' in New Israeli Govt - May 23rd, 2016
- Pentagon Talks Up 'Eclectic' Recruits for Syrian Training Scheme - May 23rd, 2016
- US 'Scolds' Russia, Denies Claims of Talks on Joint Syria Operations - May 23rd, 2016
- Iraq PM Claims 'Big Successes' as Troops Shell Central Fallujah - May 23rd, 2016
- Afghan Govt Funding Taliban Splinter Group to 'Sew Rifts' - May 23rd, 2016