Attack on House Also Injures Four
A US drone fired missiles at a house in North Waziristan today, killing five occupants and wounding four others. The victims of the attack were apparently members of the local Taliban faction, though it does not appear that any of them were high ranking officials in that faction.
Intelligence sources said the militants inside were associated with the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan leader Baitullah Mehsud, and that at least some of them may have fled from the Pakistani military’s offensive in South Waziristan. The house was said to be destroyed in the attack.
The US drones have been regularly targeting South Waziristan in recent weeks, but this appears to be the first time since May that they have attacked North Waziristan. The attacks have been publicly criticized by Pakistan’s civilian government, though they reportedly have privately endorsed them.
But the Pakistani military, fearing that they would be incapable of fighting so many tribesmen, has been trying in recent weeks to calm tensions in North Waziristan, even as they press the offensive in the neighboring south.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016