Attack on House Also Injures Four
A US drone fired missiles at a house in North Waziristan today, killing five occupants and wounding four others. The victims of the attack were apparently members of the local Taliban faction, though it does not appear that any of them were high ranking officials in that faction.
Intelligence sources said the militants inside were associated with the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan leader Baitullah Mehsud, and that at least some of them may have fled from the Pakistani military’s offensive in South Waziristan. The house was said to be destroyed in the attack.
The US drones have been regularly targeting South Waziristan in recent weeks, but this appears to be the first time since May that they have attacked North Waziristan. The attacks have been publicly criticized by Pakistan’s civilian government, though they reportedly have privately endorsed them.
But the Pakistani military, fearing that they would be incapable of fighting so many tribesmen, has been trying in recent weeks to calm tensions in North Waziristan, even as they press the offensive in the neighboring south.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014
- No Place Is Safe as Israel Pounds Civilian Areas in Gaza - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Envoy: Our Military Deserves Nobel Peace Prize for Not Killing More Gazans - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Attacks on Gaza Continue: 693 Palestinians, 34 Israelis Dead - July 22nd, 2014
- Iraqi Govt Barrel Bombs Kill 19 Civilians in Fallujah - July 22nd, 2014