A State Department convoy carrying the US Ambassador to Iraq Christopher Hill was targeted by a roadside bomb in Nassiriyah today, causing minor damage to one of the vehicles but causing no injuries. “We are all fine,” Hill was quoted as saying.
Hill’s unannounced visit involved meetings with local political leaders, who urged him to help spur foreign investment. The bombing is likely to harm that prospect, however, in that comparatively calm Dhi Qar Province.
Ambassador Hill has been in the State Department since 1977, and has previously been ambassador to Macedonia, Poland, and South Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New US Sanctions Target North Korea's Trading Partners, Banks - September 21st, 2017
- Catalan Officials: Police Raids Are a Blow to Referendum - September 21st, 2017
- Russia Warns It Would Retaliate Against US Forces in Syria If Provoked - September 21st, 2017
- Tillerson: Iran 'Technically' Complying With Nuclear Deal - September 21st, 2017
- South Korea Unexpectedly Approves Aid to North - September 21st, 2017