A State Department convoy carrying the US Ambassador to Iraq Christopher Hill was targeted by a roadside bomb in Nassiriyah today, causing minor damage to one of the vehicles but causing no injuries. “We are all fine,” Hill was quoted as saying.
Hill’s unannounced visit involved meetings with local political leaders, who urged him to help spur foreign investment. The bombing is likely to harm that prospect, however, in that comparatively calm Dhi Qar Province.
Ambassador Hill has been in the State Department since 1977, and has previously been ambassador to Macedonia, Poland, and South Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018
- Amid Worsening Tensions, Western Diplomats See Russia as 'Indispensable Partner' - February 18th, 2018
- Turkey: Chemical Weapons Use Allegations 'Baseless' - February 18th, 2018
- US Pushes Europe to Commit to Changing Iran Nuclear Deal - February 18th, 2018
- South Korean President Says Olympics Have Lowered Tensions With North - February 18th, 2018