A State Department convoy carrying the US Ambassador to Iraq Christopher Hill was targeted by a roadside bomb in Nassiriyah today, causing minor damage to one of the vehicles but causing no injuries. “We are all fine,” Hill was quoted as saying.
Hill’s unannounced visit involved meetings with local political leaders, who urged him to help spur foreign investment. The bombing is likely to harm that prospect, however, in that comparatively calm Dhi Qar Province.
Ambassador Hill has been in the State Department since 1977, and has previously been ambassador to Macedonia, Poland, and South Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Egypt Conducts Airstrikes in Sinai After Mosque Attack - November 24th, 2017
- Diplomats: Trump 'Fed Up' With Netanyahu Dismissing Peace Efforts - November 24th, 2017
- Observatory Estimates 340,000 Killed in Syrian War - November 24th, 2017
- Pentagon to Admit to 2,000 Troops in Syria, Number Likely Far Higher - November 24th, 2017
- Five Ukrainian Soldiers Killed in Fighting Near Restive Luhansk - November 24th, 2017