A State Department convoy carrying the US Ambassador to Iraq Christopher Hill was targeted by a roadside bomb in Nassiriyah today, causing minor damage to one of the vehicles but causing no injuries. “We are all fine,” Hill was quoted as saying.
Hill’s unannounced visit involved meetings with local political leaders, who urged him to help spur foreign investment. The bombing is likely to harm that prospect, however, in that comparatively calm Dhi Qar Province.
Ambassador Hill has been in the State Department since 1977, and has previously been ambassador to Macedonia, Poland, and South Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bomb Hits Afghanistan, 34 Dead, 60 Wounded - June 22nd, 2017
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017