Despite the massive unrest across Iran in the wake of Friday’s election, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad arrived in Russia today for summit meetings. Though his opponent Mir-Hossein Mousavi has contested the results, Ahmadinejad appeared to be accepted as Iran’s president without any serious opposition.
During the summit meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Ahmadinejad declared the end of the “age of empires,” adding that America had effectively been bankrupted by its assorted wars and “is overwhelmed by economic and political crises.”
Russian officials declined to comment on the situation in Iran, calling it an “internal affair of the Iranian people,” and Ahmadinejad seemed careful not to mention the violent rallies he left behind, or the disputed election that sparked them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018