Despite the massive unrest across Iran in the wake of Friday’s election, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad arrived in Russia today for summit meetings. Though his opponent Mir-Hossein Mousavi has contested the results, Ahmadinejad appeared to be accepted as Iran’s president without any serious opposition.
During the summit meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Ahmadinejad declared the end of the “age of empires,” adding that America had effectively been bankrupted by its assorted wars and “is overwhelmed by economic and political crises.”
Russian officials declined to comment on the situation in Iran, calling it an “internal affair of the Iranian people,” and Ahmadinejad seemed careful not to mention the violent rallies he left behind, or the disputed election that sparked them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Chemical Inspectors Arrive in Syria's Douma, Collect Samples - April 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018