Former Vice President Dick Cheney sees only two options with respect to detainees in the never-ending war on terror, and keeping them in prison without charges for the rest of their lives is, believe it or not, the more reasonable one.
“If you don’t have a place where you can hold these people, your only other option is to kill them,” declared Cheney, who believes that suspects “ought to be held until the end of the conflict,” which he had previously said wouldn’t end in any of our lifetimes.
Cheney chided President Obama for issuing an executive order calling for the closure of the facility at Guantanamo Bay within a year, and said the president’s recent backpedaling is a function of his inability to come up with a plan to do so.
Last month Obama lauded congressional Democratics for withholding the funding he requested for closing the facility, and announced he was reviving the Bush-era tribunal system with only minor alterations. He also planned to come up with a new court system which would allow him to detain suspects for life without charges, though on American soil instead of at Guantanamo Bay.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018