Former Vice President Dick Cheney sees only two options with respect to detainees in the never-ending war on terror, and keeping them in prison without charges for the rest of their lives is, believe it or not, the more reasonable one.
“If you don’t have a place where you can hold these people, your only other option is to kill them,” declared Cheney, who believes that suspects “ought to be held until the end of the conflict,” which he had previously said wouldn’t end in any of our lifetimes.
Cheney chided President Obama for issuing an executive order calling for the closure of the facility at Guantanamo Bay within a year, and said the president’s recent backpedaling is a function of his inability to come up with a plan to do so.
Last month Obama lauded congressional Democratics for withholding the funding he requested for closing the facility, and announced he was reviving the Bush-era tribunal system with only minor alterations. He also planned to come up with a new court system which would allow him to detain suspects for life without charges, though on American soil instead of at Guantanamo Bay.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017