The Council of Islamic Organizations of Michigan (CIOM) has sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder asking him to investigate complaints that the FBI is approaching Michigan Muslims and asking them to to spy on their congregations.
The letter says several Muslims have been asked by the FBI to monitor people coming to mosques and how much money they donate. Executive director of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) Dawud Walid says the FBI appears to be on a “fishing expedition.” The FBI simply insisted that it “does not target innocent individuals.”
Muslim communities across America have been suspicious of the FBI since the revelation earlier this year that they planted a false convert in an Orange County mosque to get close to the “brother-in-law of Osama bin Laden’s bodyguard,” whom they reportedly attempt to press into spying for them before ultimately trying him for fraud. In the wake of the effort, several Muslim groups have threatened to suspend all contact with the FBI.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018