CENTCOM Commander General David Petraeus told the Senate Armed Services Committee today that the assorted militant factions in Pakistan “could literally take down their state” barring action against them.
Gen. Petraeus also said that the Obama Administration was doing a “deep dive” of investigation into TTP leader Baitullah Mehsud, who yesterday claimed his organization was planning to “launch an attack in Washington that will amaze everyone in the world.” Intelligence officials seemed quick to dismiss the threaten attack, part of the TTP’s retaliation against the ongoing US missile strikes against the group in Pakistan’s tribal areas.
Petraeus and other defense officials portrayed the situation as “increasingly dire”, and were reportedly pressing the Obama Administration to add yet another 10,000 troops to the ever increasing surge of soldiers being sent to Afghanistan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Kills 20 in Pakistan Tribal Area - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon: US Kills Dozens in Yemen Training Camp Attacks - October 16th, 2017
- Israel Attacks Syrian Air Defenses After Warplanes Come Under Fire - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Threatens to Seize Catalonia as Deadline Looms - October 15th, 2017