CENTCOM Commander General David Petraeus told the Senate Armed Services Committee today that the assorted militant factions in Pakistan “could literally take down their state” barring action against them.
Gen. Petraeus also said that the Obama Administration was doing a “deep dive” of investigation into TTP leader Baitullah Mehsud, who yesterday claimed his organization was planning to “launch an attack in Washington that will amaze everyone in the world.” Intelligence officials seemed quick to dismiss the threaten attack, part of the TTP’s retaliation against the ongoing US missile strikes against the group in Pakistan’s tribal areas.
Petraeus and other defense officials portrayed the situation as “increasingly dire”, and were reportedly pressing the Obama Administration to add yet another 10,000 troops to the ever increasing surge of soldiers being sent to Afghanistan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018