Gunman Seized Police Academy, Sparking Eight Hour Siege
Gunmen captured the Manawan Police Center in Lahore, Pakistan this morning, throwing grenades into the training grounds around the training center before taking up positions inside, prompting an eight hour siege. Police finally recaptured the center, killing four of the attackers and capturing four others.
Yet the attack has left at least 19 people dead, including three civilians, and scores of officers wounded. Footage from the scene showed frightened police officers scampering over the compound’s walls to flee the attackers, before elite commanders retook the facility amid shouts of “long live Punjab police!”
The attack appears to have been highly coordinated, but so far no militant group has taken credit for it. Speculation was that the Lashkar-e Jhangvi was responsible, but that remains unconfirmed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US to Send Up to 300 Paratroopers Into Mosul for Latest Escalation - March 27th, 2017
- Pentagon Reviewing Mosul Bombings That Killed Hundreds of Civilians - March 27th, 2017
- ISIS Threatens Iran for Tolerating Jews - March 27th, 2017
- Israeli Coalition Still Split on Broadcaster, Risking Early Elections - March 27th, 2017
- Senate Votes to End Debate on Montenegro Joining NATO - March 27th, 2017