Gunmen captured the Manawan Police Center in Lahore, Pakistan this morning, throwing grenades into the training grounds around the training center before taking up positions inside, prompting an eight hour siege. Police finally recaptured the center, killing four of the attackers and capturing four others.
Yet the attack has left at least 19 people dead, including three civilians, and scores of officers wounded. Footage from the scene showed frightened police officers scampering over the compound’s walls to flee the attackers, before elite commanders retook the facility amid shouts of “long live Punjab police!”
The attack appears to have been highly coordinated, but so far no militant group has taken credit for it. Speculation was that the Lashkar-e Jhangvi was responsible, but that remains unconfirmed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019
- UN Rights Council Accuses Israel of War Crimes in Gaza - March 22nd, 2019