Gunmen captured the Manawan Police Center in Lahore, Pakistan this morning, throwing grenades into the training grounds around the training center before taking up positions inside, prompting an eight hour siege. Police finally recaptured the center, killing four of the attackers and capturing four others.
Yet the attack has left at least 19 people dead, including three civilians, and scores of officers wounded. Footage from the scene showed frightened police officers scampering over the compound’s walls to flee the attackers, before elite commanders retook the facility amid shouts of “long live Punjab police!”
The attack appears to have been highly coordinated, but so far no militant group has taken credit for it. Speculation was that the Lashkar-e Jhangvi was responsible, but that remains unconfirmed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Koreas' Olympic Détente Upends US Strategy - January 17th, 2018
- Saudis Transfer $2 Billion to Prop Up Yemeni Allies' Currency - January 17th, 2018
- World Economic Forum Survey Sees More War in 2018 - January 17th, 2018
- Syrian Kurds Urge UN Action to Prevent Turkish Invasion - January 17th, 2018
- Turkey Says Will Attack Unless US Withdraws Support for Syrian Kurds - January 17th, 2018