Gunmen captured the Manawan Police Center in Lahore, Pakistan this morning, throwing grenades into the training grounds around the training center before taking up positions inside, prompting an eight hour siege. Police finally recaptured the center, killing four of the attackers and capturing four others.
Yet the attack has left at least 19 people dead, including three civilians, and scores of officers wounded. Footage from the scene showed frightened police officers scampering over the compound’s walls to flee the attackers, before elite commanders retook the facility amid shouts of “long live Punjab police!”
The attack appears to have been highly coordinated, but so far no militant group has taken credit for it. Speculation was that the Lashkar-e Jhangvi was responsible, but that remains unconfirmed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018