Israeli Army Radio reports that incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and future Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have struck a “secret deal” to launch a massive expansion of the West Bank settlement of Ma’aleh Adurnim.
The plan would reportedly build 3,000 new housing units between the settlement and Jerusalem, essentially making for contiguity between the two and preventing any future Palestinian construction between East Jerusalem and Ramallah.
The United States has opposed the settlement expansions repeatedly, and Israel pledged to freeze construction in the area in 2005. As the rumored expansion would bifurcate the West Bank, it would do serious harm to the prospect of a Palestinian state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Accelerates Plan to Slash Afghan Embassy Staff - April 25th, 2019
- Top UN Official Meets Taliban Negotiators in Qatar - April 25th, 2019
- Senate to Take Up Trump's Yemen War Veto Next Week - April 25th, 2019
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019