Israeli Army Radio reports that incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and future Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have struck a “secret deal” to launch a massive expansion of the West Bank settlement of Ma’aleh Adurnim.
The plan would reportedly build 3,000 new housing units between the settlement and Jerusalem, essentially making for contiguity between the two and preventing any future Palestinian construction between East Jerusalem and Ramallah.
The United States has opposed the settlement expansions repeatedly, and Israel pledged to freeze construction in the area in 2005. As the rumored expansion would bifurcate the West Bank, it would do serious harm to the prospect of a Palestinian state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sanctions on Iran Hitting Ordinary Iraqis Hard - August 14th, 2018
- Trump Wants Gaza Ceasefire With or Without PA Involvement - August 14th, 2018
- US 'Suspicious' of Russian Space Weapons - August 14th, 2018
- Afghans See Govt's Loss in Ghazni as Failure of Ghani Govt - August 14th, 2018
- Fighting Rages in Ghazni, Afghans Claim Most of City Recovered - August 14th, 2018