Israeli Army Radio reports that incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and future Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have struck a “secret deal” to launch a massive expansion of the West Bank settlement of Ma’aleh Adurnim.
The plan would reportedly build 3,000 new housing units between the settlement and Jerusalem, essentially making for contiguity between the two and preventing any future Palestinian construction between East Jerusalem and Ramallah.
The United States has opposed the settlement expansions repeatedly, and Israel pledged to freeze construction in the area in 2005. As the rumored expansion would bifurcate the West Bank, it would do serious harm to the prospect of a Palestinian state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Claims to Have Decided on Iran Deal, Offers No Details - September 20th, 2017
- Mattis: Pentagon Budget Uncertainty Raises Questions About US Survival - September 20th, 2017
- Syria Informs US Leaders on Future Air Wars - September 19th, 2017
- Western Nations Clash at UN Over Iran Nuclear Deal - September 19th, 2017
- US May Try to Shoot Down Future North Korean Missile - September 19th, 2017