Israeli Army Radio reports that incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and future Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have struck a “secret deal” to launch a massive expansion of the West Bank settlement of Ma’aleh Adurnim.
The plan would reportedly build 3,000 new housing units between the settlement and Jerusalem, essentially making for contiguity between the two and preventing any future Palestinian construction between East Jerusalem and Ramallah.
The United States has opposed the settlement expansions repeatedly, and Israel pledged to freeze construction in the area in 2005. As the rumored expansion would bifurcate the West Bank, it would do serious harm to the prospect of a Palestinian state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea to Close Nuclear Testing Site - April 20th, 2018