Israeli Army Radio reports that incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and future Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have struck a “secret deal” to launch a massive expansion of the West Bank settlement of Ma’aleh Adurnim.
The plan would reportedly build 3,000 new housing units between the settlement and Jerusalem, essentially making for contiguity between the two and preventing any future Palestinian construction between East Jerusalem and Ramallah.
The United States has opposed the settlement expansions repeatedly, and Israel pledged to freeze construction in the area in 2005. As the rumored expansion would bifurcate the West Bank, it would do serious harm to the prospect of a Palestinian state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Backs India's Right to Defend Itself After Kashmir Attacks - February 17th, 2019
- In Iraq Visit, Top US General Talks Long-Term ISIS 'Threat' - February 17th, 2019
- Commander: US Can't Back Syrian Forces Aligned With Assad - February 17th, 2019
- US Envoy Says Withdrawal From Syria 'Will Be Gradual' - February 17th, 2019
- US General: Army Still Supporting Saudis in Yemen - February 17th, 2019