Israeli Army Radio reports that incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and future Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have struck a “secret deal” to launch a massive expansion of the West Bank settlement of Ma’aleh Adurnim.
The plan would reportedly build 3,000 new housing units between the settlement and Jerusalem, essentially making for contiguity between the two and preventing any future Palestinian construction between East Jerusalem and Ramallah.
The United States has opposed the settlement expansions repeatedly, and Israel pledged to freeze construction in the area in 2005. As the rumored expansion would bifurcate the West Bank, it would do serious harm to the prospect of a Palestinian state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018
- In Trump's 2019 Budget, Lockheed Looms Almost as Large as State Dept. - February 16th, 2018