Pakistani Media Organizations Threaten Nationwide Strike
GEO News, the most popular television news network in Pakistan, was ordered blocked today by government regulators. Officials have yet to comment on the exact reason for the blocking, but most see it as retaliation for its harsh criticism of the actions of the government during the crackdown against opposition figures in recent days.
Part of the Jang group, GEO News had a long history of criticism of and harsh retaliation by the Musharraf government. The station and indeed the entire media group have been equally critical of the Zardari government since the imposition of emergency rule across much of the nation, with its print outlet “The News” running a story titled “Fascism in Action.”
The ban has been harshly condemned by opposition figures and international media organizations. Media groups in Pakistan say they will go on a nationwide strike tomorrow, certainly an expression of outrage at the banning but also giving the government the media blackout it seems to seek at a time critical to the history of Pakistan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US: Israel Agrees to 12-Hour Pause in Gaza Bombing - July 25th, 2014
- Israeli Cabinet Unanimously Rejects Gaza Ceasefire - July 25th, 2014
- Six Palestinians Killed as Israel Cracks Down on West Bank Protests - July 25th, 2014
- UN Chief Slams Israeli Attacks on Gaza: At Least 865 Palestinians Killed - July 24th, 2014
- Ukraine Accused of Targeting Civilians in East Ukraine Offensive - July 24th, 2014