Roughly Two-Thirds of Dead Gazans Are Civilians
19 days in, the Israeli war on the Gaza Strip passed another major milestone, with over 1,000 Palestinians killed in the attack. The Gaza-based Palestinian Center for Human Rights, which has been tracking the toll, said 673 of those killed were civilians, with 225 children and 69 women. 13 Israelis have also been killed, three of them civilians, though at least four of those soldiers were killed by the Israeli military.
Red Cross President Jakob Kellenberger described the situation in the Gaza Strip as “shocking” and called for the Israeli military to make more provisions to ensure that ambulances could rescue wounded civilians from the attacks.
Surveyors say that the attack has done at least $1.4 billion in damage to the infrastructure of the tiny strip. Securing the funds will likely be difficult, particularly in the global economic downturn. So far the United Nations has allocated $7 million (less than $5 per Gazan) to provide for them during this time of emergency.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN: Afghan Civilian Casualties Increased 22 Percent in 2014 - February 18th, 2015
- Pentagon: US Identified 1,200 Potential Syria Rebels for Training - February 18th, 2015
- White House: Israel Cherry-Picking Intel to Distort Iran Talks - February 18th, 2015
- Israel Expels 120, Seizes Private Palestinian Land for Landfill Site - February 18th, 2015
- Ceasefire Holds as Ukraine Withdraws From Contested Debaltseve - February 18th, 2015