Dozens of demonstrators rally at the future site of the construction of Israel’s barrier wall near the West Bank village of Bil’in every week. Regularly, those protesters are met with Israeli soldiers who violently disperse their rallies. Yet every week the protesters are there, and the soldiers are there.
That gets a bit monotonous after awhile, so the protesters decided to shake things up this week. Dozens of the protesters dressed up as Santa Claus and held their usual rally, reportedly bolstered by international and Israeli activists.
And as is so often the case, the Israeli military was there. A clash broke out, the keffiyeh-clad Santas are reported to have thrown stones at the troops, and the troops fired into the crowd with tear gas and rubber-coated bullets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017