This time last month, the Syrian military was sweeping through Kurdish territory in the country’s northeast Hasakeh Governorate, and having seized control of the al-Hawl prison camp, there were reports of thousands of ISIS-linked detainees being freed by the Islamist...
Syrian Alawite Women Recount Abductions, Abuse by Pro-HTS Factions
Approaching the one year anniversary of the massacre of Alawite civilians by a faction including government forces, more details are emerging about what happened to civilians, particularly women, caught up in this violence. An investigation by the BBC looked into...
Report: US Will Withdraw All of Its Forces in Syria Over the Next Two Months
The US is in the process of pulling all of its roughly 1,000 troops out of Syria, which is expected to take about two months, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday. Earlier this month, the US pulled out of the Al Tanf Garrison, a base in southern Syria near...
Israeli Troops Detaining Growing Number of Civilians in Southwest Syria
As Israel launches more and more cross-border raids into Syria’s Quneitra Govenrorate, troops are establishing checkpoints to harass locals. In addition to the checkpoints, troops are increasingly engaged in raids to capture young men, though exactly why they’re being...
Syria Orders Kurdish SDF to Return to Civilian Life by End of February
Adding to the growing list of ultimatums imposed on the Kurdish SDF, the Syrian Interior Ministry has announced they are giving SDF members until the end of February to disarm fully and completely return to civilian life. The new documents released by the Interior...
US Says It Launched 10 More Strikes in Syria, Finished Transferring ISIS Detainees to Iraq
US Central Command said on Saturday that its forces launched an additional 10 strikes against ISIS in Syria from February 3 to February 12, an announcement that came after US forces withdrew from a key base in southern Syria. "US forces struck ISIS infrastructure and...
Israel Launches New Raids into Southern Syria, Troops Fire on Civilians
Israel has launched new incursions into southwestern Syria since Wednesday night, first firing artillery toward a village in the northern part of Quneitra Governorate and then, Thursday morning, sending troops in outright. New checkpoints were established by the IDF,...
Report: US Forces Pull Out of Al-Tanf Base in Southern Syria
Update on February 12 at 1:56 pm EST: US Central Command issued a statement on Thursday confirming the US withdrawal from Al-Tanf US forces have withdrawn from the Al-Tanf Garrison, a base in southern Syria near the borders of Iraq and Jordan, according to a report...
Tom Barrack Says HTS-Led Syrian Government’s Participation in Anti-ISIS Coalition Marks a ‘New Chapter’
Tom Barrack, the US ambassador to Turkey who also serves as an envoy to Syria, wrote on X on Tuesday that the participation of the new Syrian government -- led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, an offshoot of al-Qaeda -- in a US-led anti-ISIS coalition meeting marks a "new...
Ceasefire Deal in Place, But Siege Continues for Syrian Kurds in Kobane
A deal between the Syrian government and the Kurdish SDF remains more or less in place in the Hasakeh Governorate, with the central government putting more and more of the former Kurdish-held territory under direct control. But the latest ceasefire not immediately...


