Israeli military officials continued their threats against Iran Tuesday, warning that the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) are “accelerating” plans to attack the Islamic Republic since the new budget was passed.
Last month, the Israeli government reportedly approved a $1.5 billion boost to the military budget that will go towards preparing to attack Iran. Last week, Israel’s parliament approved a national budget, the first one passed in over three years, securing the election victory of Prime Minister Naftali Bennett.
IDF Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi said Tuesday that the IDF is “accelerating operational planning and preparedness to deal with Iran” and its nuclear program. “Thankfully, the budget that was approved makes it possible to contend with a variety of threats,” he said.
In January, Kohavi said he ordered the IDF to draw up fresh plans to attack Iran’s nuclear program and has been threatening to attack throughout the year. The Israeli Air Force reportedly resumed practicing bombing Iran’s nuclear sites at the end of October. Israel has frequently carried out covert attacks inside Iran, but the preparations being made by the IDF are for more overt operations.
Also on Tuesday, Defense Minister Benny Gantz touted the IDF’s new preparations during an inauguration for a new factory opened by the Israeli weapons-maker Rafael. Gantz said if a war breaks out in the region, Israel will carry out operations that “haven’t been seen in the past.”