Israel bombed targets in the Gaza Strip early on Wednesday, marking the first airstrikes on the besieged enclaves since a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas was reached on May 21st.
The Israeli Defense Forces said the airstrikes were done in response to incendiary balloons that were launched into southern Israel from Gaza. The balloons only caused fires in fields near the Gaza border, and no casualties were reported.
No casualties have been reported in the Israeli airstrikes on Gaza. The Palestinian Wafa News Agency said “material” damage had been done in airstrikes in Khan Younis, a city in southern Gaza.
Israel’s airstrikes came after Israeli nationalists marched through occupied East Jerusalem, an event known as the “Flag March.” Israeli demonstrators were filmed chanting “death to Arabs” during the march. At least 27 Palestinians protesting the march were wounded by Israeli police.
The airstrikes are also significant because it marks the first Israeli bombing of Gaza under Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett, who replaced Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday.
The 11-day Israeli bombardment on Gaza in May killed at least 256 Palestinians, including 67 children. In Israel, at least 12 people were killed by rockets fired out of Gaza, including two children.
After the Gaza slaughter, Israel reportedly asked the US for an additional $1 billion in military aid, on top of the $3.8 billion Washington provides each year. It’s not clear what the status of the additional aid is, but the Biden administration has signaled it is willing to hand over more money to Israel.