In the course of his speech on the National Security Strategy, President Trump offered few specifics, but did take time out to talk up the need to move against North Korea, saying that the US “has no choice” but to deal with North Korea and its “challenge.”
Trump didn’t elaborate on what that would entail, but in past comments has repeatedly lambasted calls for diplomacy with North Korea, while threatening to “totally destroy” the country militarily.
Today’s comments were in a speech where the one recurring theme was protracted US military operations around the world, and promises to increase military spending even further than it already has been to ensure America’s overwhelming superiority.
Trump did claim that the world was united on the need to disarm North Korea, and he expressed confidence that allies would be helping when the US gets around to dealing with North Korea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018
- Yemen Talks End With Ceasefire Agreed for Hodeidah - December 13th, 2018