Reports out of the region say that North Korea has begun carrying out evacuation and black out drills in cities and towns across the country, getting the population prepared to react in the case of a surprise attack.
There’ve been mounting tensions between the US and North Korea for several months, and repeated US threats to carry out a unilateral attack on the nation. Some officials say it’s unsurprising that North Korea is taking the threats seriously and carrying out drills.
Some South Korean officials, however, say that the move is surprising, and that its nearly unprecedented for North Korea to conduct drills like this, as they give the appearance to the public of vulnerability to an external threat.
President Trump has threatened repeatedly to “totally destroy” North Korea, and Defense Secretary James Mattis is visiting South Korea this weekend talking up an “effective and overwhelming” military action against them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Announces Plans for Massive Military Spending Hikes - August 16th, 2018
- Iraq Carries Out Airstrike Against ISIS 'Operations Room' in Syria - August 16th, 2018
- Senators to Resist Trump Plans to Cut Foreign Aid - August 16th, 2018
- As Costs Rise, Pentagon Announces Military Parade Postponed - August 16th, 2018
- US Threatens Further Turkey Sanctions if Pastor Not Freed Soon - August 16th, 2018