Both the US and Israel are reacting with outrage today and threatening to defund UNESCO, following the international body’s recognition that the Tomb of Patriarchs, in Israeli-occupied Hebron, is a World Heritage site, and one that is considered “in danger.”
The Tomb of Patriarchs, also the Ibrahimi Mosque, is believed to be the burial place of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It is considered the second holiest site in Judaism, and the fourth holiest in Islam. The UNESCO ruling noted the repeated vandalism and property damage in the area, related to settlements.
Israel’s outrage at the ruling is because UNESCO described the mosque, which is a mosque, as an “Islamic” site, insisting that the matter amounts to “anti-semitism,” and that Israel will never accept anything that doesn’t recognize Jewish claims to the site.
The US is mostly outraged because Israel is outraged, with Ambassador Nikki Haley describing the recognition of the mosque as Islamic as “an affront to history” and suggesting that the US might totally withdraw support for UNESCO in the future for hurting the peace process.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump No Longer Demanding Immediate North Korea Denuclearization - May 23rd, 2018
- ISIS Kills 30 Pro-Govt Fights Near Syrian City of Palmyra - May 22nd, 2018
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Central Afghanistan - May 22nd, 2018
- Aide: US Contacting Members of Iraqi Cleric Sadr's Bloc - May 22nd, 2018
- US 'Plan B' With Iran Sets the Stage for War - May 22nd, 2018