Continuing to play up the possibility of fighting a land war with Russia, Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, the head of America’s European Command, today told the House Armed Services Committee that he needs a larger combat force, including an armored division and more warships.
“We need a greater force there,” Scaparrotti insisted, saying that more armored and mechanized brigades are needed in Europe along with offer appropriate artillery and air defense for a full-scale war with Russia. He also sought more anti-submarine capability.
Scaparrotti made headlines last week by falsely claiming that it was possible Russia was providing military support for the Taliban in the Afghan War, while offering no evidence to support the allegation. He insisted during today’s comments he needs “greater intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance assets.”
When asked why the US is suddenly needing so much additional military fcrce in Europe, Scaparrotti cited Russia’s annexation of crimea, insisting it proved Russia is “a competitor” to the United States in Eastern Europe, and that the US needs more forces there to “prevent” war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Say 60 Taliban Killed in Ghazni Airstrike - November 14th, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills Seven Civilians in Yemen's Hodeidah - November 14th, 2018
- EU Struggles to Find Host for Iran Trade Clearing House - November 14th, 2018
- Israeli Coalition on Brink of Collapse as Hawks Rage Over Gaza Ceasefire - November 14th, 2018
- Congressional Report Warns US Might Lose a War Against China or Russia - November 14th, 2018