Attacks Reported Around Outskirts of Damascus
Reports originating in the Lebanese media claim Israel carried out overnight airstrikes against a Syrian military convoy carrying arms for Hezbollah on the outskirts of the Syrian capital of Damascus. The warplanes were said to have entered from Lebanese airspace.
Israel has repeatedly attacked Syrian arms convoys throughout the civil war, with an eye toward preventing those arms from reaching Hezbollah, which is involved in the anti-ISIS fight. At the same time, the Israeli government has made a policy of not commenting on its attacks, and today’s was no different.
Hezbollah was quick to issue a statement regarding the most recent report, however, insisting it was totally untrue, and that the Israeli planes were simply conducting surveillance over Lebanon. Syria has not commented either way on the matter.
Though Israeli officials didn’t comment on the matter directly, they did downplay the chances of a new war against Hezbollah in the near-term, saying the group’s morale is too low because of its involvement in the Syrian war. Russian officials also assured that Hezbollah’s deployment in Syria was temporary, and would end as soon as the war does.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tillerson to Skip NATO Meeting, Will Visit Russia in April - March 20th, 2017
- Syrian Envoy: Russia Has Told Israel Freedom to Act in Syrian Airspace Is Over - March 20th, 2017
- Turkey Won't Accept Kurdish 'Region of Terror' in Northern Syria - March 20th, 2017
- Syria Army Recovers Damascus District a Day After Rebel Raid - March 20th, 2017
- US to Impose 'Large Electronics' Ban on Flights From Africa, Middle East - March 20th, 2017