The latest Turkish military statement on the offensive against the northern Syrian city of al-Bab claims that they have seized control over virtually all of the residential districts within the city, and are continuing to try to push ISIS out of the city.
The statement claimed 44 ISIS fighters killed on Monday, along with a single Turkish soldier, who reportedly died while clearing an area of landmines. The statement said 15 of the ISIS fighters were killed in combat, while the rest were slain in US airstrikes.
That the US is providing direct air support in al-Bab is a change, as previously Turkey had been loudly complaining about their lack of support, and Russia had stepped up and launched the first air strikes in support of the invasion. The US then was said to be reluctant to strike in the same areas as Russia.
Turkey has been trying to take over al-Bab since November, and has repeatedly claimed massive ISIS death tolls and mounting successes. Despite this, signs have been that ISIS retains substantial control over the city and the surrounding area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Major Clashes in Libyan Capital, at Least 20 Killed, Airport Closed - January 15th, 2018
- Aid Cranes Arrive at Key North Yemen Port of Hodeidah - January 15th, 2018
- Russia FM: Zone for US-Backed Rebels Could Split Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Army Vow to End US Presence in Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Rebels Push US to Resume Failed CIA Arms Smuggling Scheme - January 15th, 2018