For the second time in the last 48 hours, Saudi warplanes have attacked a crowd of mourners from a funeral in the northern part of Yemen, this time killing nine women and a child. The attack targeted the home of a local tribal leader, after a woman in the family had previously died.
This comes just a day after an attack on a funeral in the capital city of Sanaa, where Saudi warplanes launched both an attack against the funeral itself and a second attack which was said to have injured a number of medical workers trying to rescue victims of the first strike.
Saudi warplanes have been repeatedly criticized by human rights groups for deliberate attacks on civilians, with many thousands of civilians killed in such attacks. The Saudis insist that they are not intentionally targeting civilians, and have dismissed many of the slain civilians as Shi’ite lies.
Saudi officials say they are investigating reports of the attack on the mourners at a house today, but did not offer any suggestion that they were trying to do anything other than attack a group of women and children who were mourning a death.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Govt Spurns Houthi Call for Transitional Govt - December 9th, 2018
- Kurds Rush Reinforcements Into East Syria as ISIS Reclaims Town - December 9th, 2018
- Trump Reverses Position, Now Calls for Pentagon Spending to Grow Even More - December 9th, 2018
- Senate Set to Vote on Resolution to End US Involvement in Yemen War - December 9th, 2018
- US Dwarfs Rest of the World in Arms Production - December 9th, 2018