Fighting continues to rage in the northern Syrian city of al-Bab, just east of the city of Aleppo. Turkish officials reported a large number of casualties over the last 24 hours, saying 43 ISIS fighters were “neutralized” and one Turkish soldier was killed in the fighting.
Turkey’s military statement also claimed warplanes attacked and destroyed 55 buildings in the area, all of them being used by ISIS forces. They said 245 other ISIS targets were attacked by rebel forces which are backed by Turkish ground troops in the fighting.
Overall, Turkey said 223 ISIS fighters have been killed in the last week, along with 5 Kurds. It is unclear where the Kurdish fighters were, as there have not been recent reports of Turkey attacking any of the Kurdish YPG targets further to the east.
Turkey invaded northern Syria in late August, vowing to “liberate” the region from both ISIS and the Kurds. They’ve captured much of the northern Aleppo Province, but the push against al-Bab has stalled them to a virtual halt.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018
- Pompeo: US Preparing a 'Series of Actions' Against Venezuela - September 21st, 2018