Fighting continues to rage in the northern Syrian city of al-Bab, just east of the city of Aleppo. Turkish officials reported a large number of casualties over the last 24 hours, saying 43 ISIS fighters were “neutralized” and one Turkish soldier was killed in the fighting.
Turkey’s military statement also claimed warplanes attacked and destroyed 55 buildings in the area, all of them being used by ISIS forces. They said 245 other ISIS targets were attacked by rebel forces which are backed by Turkish ground troops in the fighting.
Overall, Turkey said 223 ISIS fighters have been killed in the last week, along with 5 Kurds. It is unclear where the Kurdish fighters were, as there have not been recent reports of Turkey attacking any of the Kurdish YPG targets further to the east.
Turkey invaded northern Syria in late August, vowing to “liberate” the region from both ISIS and the Kurds. They’ve captured much of the northern Aleppo Province, but the push against al-Bab has stalled them to a virtual halt.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Won't Intervene as Syria Strikes Rebels in Southwest - June 24th, 2018
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018