Vows to Unite the Civilized World to Eradicate 'Radical Islamic Terrorism'
Taking office today, President Donald Trump gave his inauguration address, laying out a global war on “radical Islamic terrorism” as the centerpiece of his foreign policy, and promising to unite the entire civilized world to see this threat destroyed.
Trump cited the Bible’s call for God’s people to live together in unity while promising to reinforce existing alliances and forge new ones across the civilized world, saying the defeat of ISIS and other radical Islamic terror groups is the “highest priority” of his administration.
Trump insisted this would involve aggressive joint and coalition military operations, expanded intelligence sharing, and “cyberwarfare” to disrupt ISIS’ recruitment efforts. He did not, however, offer any specific ways in which this would be different from the assorted global war on terror operations already ongoing.
He did, however, promise to “rebuild” the American military, a process which would involve enlarging both the Air Forcce and Navy by significant amounts. Previous estimates have put the cost of just building the naval vessels proposed in the realm of $165 billion, with the cost of maintaining the ships and actually hiring crews to pilot them adding much more.
Trump had previously insisted during the campaign that he had plans that would lead to the outright defeat of ISIS, though he was similarly tight-lipped about the details back then, and so far we remain largely in the dark about what that is going to entail.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Investigating Airstrike on Syria Mosque Which Killed 49 Civilians - March 21st, 2017
- Kurdish Infighting Brings Violence Back to Yazidi Heartland in Iraq - March 21st, 2017
- Senate Majority Leader Rejects Trump's Foreign Aid Cuts - March 21st, 2017
- Trump Aides Push for 'Broad Sanctions' Against North Korea - March 21st, 2017
- FBI's Russia Probe Turns Focus on Social Media Bots - March 21st, 2017