CIA Releases New Guidelines on Spying on American Citizens

Details Center on How They Can Search Massive Amounts of Data They Get Ahold Of

Every once in awhile, the CIA gets its hands on a hard drive just full of data on American citizens, including millions of pages of text, videos and large amounts of photographs. So irrespective of long-standing prohibitions on the CIA spying on American citizens (apart from some very limited exceptions) they obviously are going to go through those documents.

Today, the CIA released a declassified version of the procedures for handling the private data of American citizens. Unsurprisingly, this leaves open a lot of questions, with a lot of the rules detailing the minutia of the manner in which they search bulk data.

The main talking point, which the CIA presented as a “significant step,” is that it defines actually which CIA employees are allowed to conduct searches of the bulk data they have, and that they actually need “a reason” to justify carrying out such a search.

These rules are all purely hypothetical at any rate, since CIA operations within the US are wholly guided by a presidential order from 1981, which more or less precludes courts getting directly involved in such actions, even if the CIA ends up openly flouting its own rules.

Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz

Author: Jason Ditz

Jason Ditz is news editor of Antiwar.com.

  • John Driessler

    And suddenly, it dawned upon little Billy, that he was living in a fascist state.

    • curmudgeonvt

      Wishful thinking, I think. Little Billy is still sleeping peacefully, blissfully unknowing.

  • Don

    Love the stock photo Jason. It’s trying to say that Obama has set the stage early so Trump can’t soften up on foreign policy. Right?
    There obviously is no need Jason because Trump isn’t. He’s going to be a good boy as soon as he’s briefed on what he should be saying and doing.

    Anybody else want to take a shot at what Jason is trying to say with that stock photo?

    luv from Canada.

    • Eileen Kuch

      Another lie, eh, Don? You don’t know sh*t. First of all, the CIA is, by law, NOT ALLOWED to conduct spying espionage on US citizens on US soil. It succeeded the OSS back in 1947 to conduct intelligence operations abroad only, not on US soil. We have the FBI and local police departments for that.
      It’s because the CIA had gone rogue and illegally conducted such operations on US soil – as well as organizing the Bay of Pigs fiasco – that then President John F. Kennedy fired CIA Director Allen Dulles and threatened to disband the CIA entirely. Unfortunately, JFK was assassinated on 22 November, 1963 and the CIA was never disbanded.
      I already told you, dumbass, that Trump’s beholden ONLY to the American people – the vast majority of us who voted for him – not the Zionist Neocons aka Trotskyites. As a multi-billionaire, he funded his own campaign and won it by a wide margin. Tomorrow, he’ll take the Oath of Office, and he’ll take steps to restore friendly ties with Russia and start treating other nations as we’d like to be treated.

      • “I already told you, dumbass, that Trump’s beholden ONLY to the American people – the vast majority of us who voted for him – not the Zionist Neocons aka Trotskyites. As a multi-billionaire, he funded his own campaign and won it by a wide margin.”

        Well, he SAID he was going to fund his own campaign, and seems to have ended up funding 10% or so of his own campaign organization, with the other 90% coming from various campaign donors rounded up by his Goldman Sachs finance chair (Mnuchin). That’s just his direct committee. Other money from other donors came via PACs, including $100 million from “Zionist Neocon” Sheldon Adelson.

        So he was 90%+ funded by, and is 100% beholden to, the “Zionist Neocons” and the Wall Street Establishment.

        It’s one thing to drink the Kool Aid while it’s being served. It’s another to pretend months later that it wasn’t Kool Aid.

        • TerryTheBoxer

          Trump has expressed his admiration for PT Barnum in the past. We all (I hope) remember the latter’s most famous quip…

          • Don

            I think that is: There’s one born every minute!

            If not then it should be because it works so well for our Eileen..

        • Don

          Well said Thomas.
          I’ve tried to help Eileen but I’ve failed so far and that’s in good part due to her misinterpreting much of what I’ve said. And then the other half because she’s in love with the Donald still.
          I love having her around though!

  • TerryTheBoxer